external exFAT drive was marked dirty, chkdsk/f/r stuck at volume label

M

m horton

Windows 7 froze while moving a file from c: to d: (exFAT) upon restart the video played but wmplayer shut down when it got to the corrupted part of the file. No problem? Just delete... there is no delete. Delete key? Nothing. I could have duplicated that file but was no longer able to move files to the d: drive >Error 0x80071AC3: Volume is Dirty< Copied a smaller test file from d: back to c: which still works.
I tried https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/error-0x80071ac3-volume-is-dirty/1341e0b3-0ead-4d49-a866-ad5e3c028aea But first did a regular chkdsk which found no bad files or sectors. The drive was still accessible. Started the chkdsk/f/r which got stuck at the volume label and has been for hours. The drive is still shows up with the correct label but now is denied access and shows no data under properties. I know this isn't normal but can I kill the process without damaging the drive or filesystem? Is it hiding the contents to protect any action that might interfere with chkdsk or did it just reformat and basically delete all my files for no reason? Here is the elevated command prompt after restart, the above link did not resolve the dirty bit as seen below. Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk D:
The type of the file system is exFAT.
Volume Serial Number is 5DB3-9DFB
Windows is verifying files and folders...
Volume label is Backup Plus.
File and folder verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

1953453056 KB total disk space.
501619584 KB in 115 files.
2944 KB in 23 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
2048 KB in use by the system.
1451828480 KB available on disk.

131072 bytes in each allocation unit.
15261352 total allocation units on disk.
11342410 allocation units available on disk.

C:\Windows\system32>fsutil dirty query D:
Volume - D: is Dirty

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk/f/r D:
The type of the file system is exFAT.
Volume Serial Number is 5DB3-9DFB
Windows is verifying files and folders...
Volume label is Backup Plus.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom