Windows 10 drops incoming TCP SYN packet for no reason

路易颜

I am running some services on my Windows 10 laptop behind a NAT server (I have set port forwarding rules). I am encountering the issue that Windows drops incoming TCP SYN packet from some IP addresses for no reason. To be specific, currently, only the laptop itself and connected (via SSH) remote servers are whitelisted by some unknown firewall-like thing. According to my examination, the reason seems to be NOT one of the following:

1. Built-in firewall, which is the only firewall on my system, is blocking incoming connection (because I have whitelisted all the services/applications, and even if I turn off the firewall, nothing is changed)
  2. The upstream is blocking incoming connection (because the RaspberryPi under the same network does not have the same issue)

What's more, I can confirm that the link is not broken because I did see the initial SYN packet and some retransmitted SYN packet of the incoming connection in Wireshark. However, I did not see any SYN-ACK packet in response to those SYN packets in all network interfaces. It seems like the connection event did not reach the application layer.

Things got even more weirder after last time I booted into safe mode to see if the issue remains unresolved. The issue did remain unresolved in safe mode, so I rebooted the system without any changes to firewall rules or anything. Magically, after this reboot, the problem disappeared for no reason. Everything was working great since then, until I rebooted, again. Now Windows (I assume that it is Windows) is again blocking incoming TCP connections.

Can anyone help? Really sad :(

Continue reading...