Enforce BitLocker Removable Data Drive with Exceptions for Certain Hardware IDs

B

BrandonMielke

We are looking at moving away from McAfee DLP in favor of just using group policy based BitLocker encryption for preventing users from writing anything to a USB device without first encrypting it, but also allow them read access if they choose not to encrypt. The group policies I have setup right now work great for doing exactly that with thumb drives.

The problem I am having is that we use Barco ClickShare buttons in some of our conference rooms to share your screen that you need to plug in this USB which acts like a thumb drive, and run an .exe from it. This means with the way the polices are setup users would get a prompt when plugging in this device to encrypt the ClickShare button or just use read only access. The read only access works fine but eventually even with communication to end users someone will end up going through the prompt to encrypt the ClickShare button with a password then next person that tries to use will be out of luck.

I am looking for a way like we currently have setup with McAfee DLP to exclude these devices by a hardware id or some other common factor so users are not prompted to encrypt these ClickShare buttons.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom