Web Application Proxy: Connection over HTTPS not working

E

egremy

Hello,

About 5 weeks ago I did not know anything about Windows Server 2016, reading and practicing I managed to create my ADFS and my WAP server, but I am having some problems.

I have configured the Web Application Proxy component in a Windows Server 2016 to publish applications to the internet. The purpose of this is to authenticate users using SAML.
I have been able to publish a couple of applications using the Remote Access Management tool, the problem I have is that my published applications are not accessible anywhere.

I tried to access the External URL of my published applications from the internet, without success. First, if I try the URL with HTTPS, I receive a message that says: This site can't be reached (This is my main problem).

I need to clarify some doubts that I have and I hope you can help me.

• The communication between WAP & ADFS are over HTTPS (using the port 443). The connection between WAP and Internet, does it have to be HTTPS?
  • According to a question named Windows 2016 Firewall Blocks Port 80 for Web Application Proxy (sorry for not paste the link. My account is not verified yet, so I am unable to use links and images in the body of the question), I have to open the port 80 (and redirect all traffic to 443) to allow all connections. I did it and the message changed from This site can't be reached to 503 Service Unavailable. But this is using HTTP instead of HTTPS. It this a problem or is the correct way to configure the Windows Server (WAP)?
  • I installed the ADFS Certificate in my WAP server to make it reliable (for ADFS). Also my WAP server is in the same Domain Controller as my ADFS. The certificate that I installed is enough to provide the HTTPS certification for WAP (In case it is needed)?

As a note:

• I am using Cloudflare to get the DNS of my WAP & ADFS server. The configuration only allow HTTPS between the Browser and Cloudflare. Hence if I go to my WAP server using my DNS (HTTPS) it fails. But if I access using the IP address (HTTP) it looks like the server responds with the 503 Service Unavailable.
  • Both servers (WAP and ADFS) are virtual machines in Google Cloud Platform

I have followed several tutorials but some are very different from others even if they are to achieve the same goal. I have read the documentation about Windows Server 2016, but I have found it incomplete and confusing. Also some documents redirect me to Windows Server 2012/2012R2 and I do not know if the information is the same or is an error.

Any help you can provide me with this will be helpful. Thank you,

René Egremy.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom