Windows Mixed Reality headset goes black randomly

E

ejayerik

Randomly goes blank in the headset. Still tracks in game and on portal. Sometimes it comes back after a few seconds and sometimes it remains black until it is disconnected and reconnected. Device is HP HP 1440(2) VR1000-100. This happens in WMR games as well as Steam VR games.

FYI Graphics card is Nvidia GTX1070, Computer is a Dell XPS 8700 with 32gig of ram, and I've upgraded my PSU to a 750W unit. Latest update of Windows 10. I am running three HP monitors on the display ports of the GPU in 1080p and the WMR headset is running off a USB 3.0 to the rear of the computer and an HDMI on the GPU. Tried a powered USB 3.0 hub with no success. Tried different USB 3.0 ports as well. Also tried a powered HDMI extension but couldn't get a signal to the headset when I tried that.

Additionally, all USB and WMR power options have been set to no sleep. No dongles, hubs, or adapters are being used for the USB or HDMI connectors from the headset.

I also purchased another re-manufactured headset with no cord or controllers and tried that with the old cord and controllers. Worked well for a day but now it's doing the same thing the old headset did.

I'm at a loss here. I am not getting any error codes. Still displays on my computer screen. Just goes black in the headset seemingly randomly. Sometimes it will return and sometimes it won't and I have to reset by pulling the cord out and plugging it back in which resets everything I was doing at the time too. Could this be an overheating issue? Driver issue? All drivers are up to date.

Continue reading...