Install Windows 10 without deleting all previous partitions on the harddisk.

M

Mahmud Nabil

I was trying to install windows 10 in my Asus X441N which has no lagacy boot option so I had to install it in UEFI mode. In the setup I selected an unalocated space of 100GiB and pressed next and it created three partition (Windows, System, Recovery) then complained about the boot order of the partitions it just created itself :( (why it would do that?). I choosed to continue ignoring the complain then the instalation started and a window popped up showing error that it detected the EFI partition(The System partition it just created in the previous step) was NTFS not FAT32. I searched in the internet for the problem, and found answers like -

• Delete all the partiions in your harddisk
  • Rename the EFI folder in the bootable usb to NoEFI or something else
  • format the System partition to fat32 using diskpart (I don't know when)

I can't delete all the partitions and the other two didn't worked.

Then I tried to install it mannually(Apply the images with dism) with the help of this documentation Capture and Apply Windows, System, and Recovery Partitions. Well I didn't followed every steps in there. I've created the partitions using KDE partitioner, ignoring the recommended order(didn't find any) -

• System partition of 116 MB - fat32
  • Recovery partition of 450 MB - ntfs
  • Windows and Data partition of 100GiB - ntfs

Then just followed the steps of the above mentioned documentation from the the cmd of the bootable usb.

I'm pretty sure I used the correct drive letters during these steps then rebooted. In the OOBE it showed that Windows setup was unable to configure windows in this hardware.

So, Can someone help me to "Install Windows 10 without deleting all previous partitions on the harddisk" by any method?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom