Can't decrypt files after moving onto external hard-drive and installing new version of windows 10

J

JonDLO

My file system was crashing hard and I think it was from a virus. After exhausting every other possible option I moved all my most important files onto an external hard-drive, wiped everything from my laptop hard-drive, and installed a new version of windows. Some of my most important files from my original hard-drive were encrypted and even though I made a point to decrypt them before moving them over, I apparently didn't properly apply it to all the files and subfolders within the main folder (even though it showed it decrypting hundreds if not thousands of files after decrypting that folder that I probed afterward and the ones I check were all decrypted). Regardless my computer is running like new now (because it basically is) but despite that folder being decrypted it's now showing all the files inside as still encrypted and when trying to move (cut, copy, paste, drag and drop) my files back over from my external hard-drive it won't let me move any of the encrypted files back to my computer. Though it will let me cut and paste the encrypted files within the external hard-drive and allow me to drag and drop them to other folders within the hard-drive it will not let me open them or copy-paste them regardless of where they are. I was hoping if I could get them off the external hard-drive and back onto the laptop the decryption would work but it won't let me move them off of it.

At first, on my computer I was signed into a new Microsoft (outlook) account I created but after a while, I signed back into my original Microsoft account hoping this would help the files recognize the original owner but it hasn't seemed to make a difference.

If I try to move an encrypted file to the computer
Or
Copy Paste the file within the external hard drive, it says:
You need permission to perform this action [despite me clicking the Administrator marked continue button]
You require permission from [Insert whichever owner I try assigning to the file] to make changes to this file

If I try to open a file it says:

You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain permission [regardless of changing the owner of the file to myUsername, Administrators, System, Everyone, Trusted Installer, Authenticated User, CREATOR OWNER, and anything else I could find/think of]

If I go to File Ownership > Personal it says:

An unexpected error is keeping you from applying properties to the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0x080071771: The specified file could not be decrypted.

If I click Properties > Advanced > Uncheck Encrypt > Ok > Apply it says:

An error occurred applying attributes to the file:
[File Path]

The specified file could not be decrypted

When I try running cmd as an administrator and typing
cipher /d /s:"FilePath"
It says:

FileName1 [ERR]
FileName1: The Specified file could not be decrypted
FileName2 [ERR]
FileName2: The Specified file could not be decrypted
Etc..

I'm starting to run out of ideas but as a Mechatronics and Robotics Engineer I know that with computers it can sometimes feel very much close to the definition of insanity because you can try the same thing over and over again and even though it seems like your doing literally the exact same thing over and over again, you can sometimes actually expect different results because sometimes you actually do get different results because the order in which those things were done were just slightly different enough to make a difference. So I'm hoping that someone can tell me with excructiatingly painfully redudant detail how to solve this problem (even if it's a solution I've already tried) because maybe the particular order in which you describe it or in which I performed it is different enough that it will actually work this time.

Or even better if you can give me a potential solution I haven't heard of/thought of yet.

Regardless please take this extremely seriously. Losing these files would be devastating to me.

These are literally my most important files, I have things like:
Pictures/Videos/Contacts from several of my old phones (that include pictures of me and my dead brother)

Years of tax returns
Resumes

Business, Financial, and Life Plans
A daily journal I was writing for a while

CAD Files and coding scripts for Inventions/New Technologies/Apps/Business Ideas I've created
I even have a transcribed account of the day I proposed to my wife that I wrote the day after it happened so I couldn't forget the details when I get older.

Needless to say, I really do not want to give up on these files, so please, whatever it takes let's just find a fix for this.

(And when I say I am a Mechatronics and Robotics engineer technically I am a Mechatronics and Robotics engineering student since I haven't graduated yet meaning I'm still a broke-**** college student so if you want to try to take advantage of my **** situation to squeeze me for money just **** off and troll elsewhere cuz I don't have it)

For those seriously considering helping, thank you for reading this far and thank you so much for any hope you can provide me.

TL;DR

Help!
Error 0x080071771: The specified file could not be decrypted.

Continue reading...