when looking at user profile details of my PC, someone elses profile has gigabytes of 'data' and mine has hardly any

N

NicholasTordoff

What i mean by this is i have very intrusive parents who dont understand privacy. even for a 26 year old.

It's really pathetic, they have actually installed things on prior devices and tracked my phone up until i was 22. (this is not the place to lecture me about getting off their plan, etc. There are reasons we do it this way. it is fiscally more sound.)

either way,

My dad has always Just given me computers to either buy from him from his job or he just lets me use them, however this is the very first time he has ever given me administrative priveleges or that he said 'i have made you an administrator and you can do as you please with this one.'

QUESTION 1: BUT I noticed something strange about a week ago, and now even more. I don't remember exactly what it was, i believe it was the settings or file ownership, inheritance, etc. (whatever that means) and i found that HIS profile on the computer is the one that is the 'owner' of every file.... I have tried anything to change this outside of messing with the ownership, inheritance, etc. (as i don't know what that is or how it works, and its best not to mess with things.)

every. single. file. is like this. And i have a LOT of private and personal stuff on here i don't prefer they be able to just jump onto. Another annoying thing that leads me to believe this is that every damn device or wireless external HDD, his two computers in the living room, etc. are ALWAYS connected to this device. as in i go to file explorer and they are always listed in the file tree. and its usually something like, i can delete them or remove them but they always seem to come back.

Question 2 -I was also in some windows setting earlier, where you can see "settings based on user log in" (i am very wrong in what it said, but it was something like that.) and while there are 4 accounts on this pc (two being my father and I's, the other two i have no idea why or how they were created by him most likely); but MINE had the same amounts of data as the other two basically inactive accounts. in the Megabytes, and his had about 6 gigabytes. so i believe he has it set up some weird way where all my files are actually owned and very easily accessible by him.

I have now turned off network discovery, sharing, etc. workgroups are now shut off. i have just deleted those other 'network devices' from my file explorer and computer, and deleted them from my 'devices/bluetooth' settings page. I hope that keeps them gone but i don't know. I still don't like that he could log in and just come straight into my profile and read all my stuff from his. It feels gross.

q3- and lastly, I am so very sorry this was so long and rambling. as well as the fact that i can't really remember where this setting was found, or exactly what it said. i hope someone can understand what im talking about or walk me through the process of removing ownership from him.

Q4-also what is a library vs just your regular folders? is the library something that is solely for like, windows media player or something? thats where i first realized he could see these things and i his, because i opened media player and all of my pictures were just there with his as well from the network devices and it irked me. )

Continue reading...