My laptop fan doesn't achieve full speed as it needs to be and shuts down from heat(?) while gaming. Are OSes throttling my laptop fan?

O

orcunsavas

Hello, I have a Samsung laptop which is around 7 yrs old. I have a dual boot (legacy) of Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04. While I am using memtest64 (It is located before the boot), laptop fan can get its full speed without any problem. But as soon as I boot into Windows 10 (or Ubuntu), my fan slows down and gets hardly to speed up. While I am playing games like ETS2 etc. on moderate-low settings, GPU and CPU get very hot and it usually shuts down my computer immediately (thankfully I use SSD).

I didn't find any PWM settings for my laptop fan, because it is a 3-pin fan. I tried to make Windows power settings to the full performance, used different kinds of manufacturers' software (Intel, MSI, etc.), but they are not useful by any means. I tried almost everything as a basic user could do.

In the end, while I was checking the device manager, I found my fan on there with an ACPI number/address or something like that. But I don't have any access or control over it. How could I control my fans to the full speed? I don't really mind the sound, I just want my machine to work properly.

Specs:

Laptop Model: Samsung NP550-P5C-S04TR

GPU: GeForce GT 650M (2 GB) (425.31)

CPU: i7-3630QM

Memory: 8GB

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom