adjusting windows 10 partition

H

hkusumo

Hi,

I am testing backup assist at the moment and encounter some issue regarding windows partition.

I install fresh windows 10 on 2 different machines

- older machine with no UEFI

- laptop with UEFI.

I notice when I install windows on older machine, it creates 2 partitions

- System partition about 549 MB

- Primary partition for the rest of the hard disk

on UEFI machine windows installation create 4 partitions

- Recovery Partition about 499 MB

- System partition about 100 MB

- Reserved partition about 16 MB

- Primary partition for the rest of the hard disk

Then I install backup assist backup software.

I can perform full backup and subsequent backup without any issue.

Then I do bare metal recovery and ask them to recreate partition and reformat the hard disk, and it restore the pc without any issue.

Except when I run backup assist to do a full backup and it failed, and give the following error message.

A volume shadow copy service operation error has occurred, Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data

I spoke with backup assist support from what they told me is due to partition size need to be minimum 500MB for shadow copy to work. and refer me to this URL

Why do I get "The ENABLE BACKUP command is not supported in this version of Windows?"

bd0b90ff-8602-4565-80c7-7698b2ba35ae?upload=true.png

My question is during windows fresh installation, there is only 1 button to create partition (New partition) and windows create all the system, reserve, etc... partition automatically for UEFI machine. I can only specify the size for primary partition only. if I need to make Recovery partition to say 549 MB how do I do that?

I appreciated if anyone can point me on how to adjust/create manually partition size during windows installation.

NB: I know there is windows backup, I am testing backup assist since I am testing backup solutions for the server as well and backup assist has facility to do restore exchange database at mailbox level where standard window server backup doesn't provide that solutions.

Thank you.

Regards

- Haris -

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom