User profile lost including desktop files, folders and taskbar icons

T

Techno-palpable

Please Help

Following the most recent windows updates I had a couple of intermittent problems as follows:

1. On occasion the PC would boot to a fresh desktop with program icons but all of my desktop files and folders gone as well as taskbar shortcuts disappeared.

2. The language changed form Australian to English UK - only picked it up when I went to type the @ symbol and got " instead.

Language was easy enough to switch.

For the first problem above I was able to resolve by clicking the windows icon then signing out then back in and the problem resolved itself. It happened 3 times

Last night it did the same thing again but this time the above reset did not work and I now cannot retrieve my desktop setup including the files, folders and worse have lost the taskbar links to things like outlook to launch my email etc.

When I open explorer and navigate to the "C:\Users" folder I can see my profile folder and all of the files appear to be there. Though I cant find a link to launch outlook for my email.

When I navigate to C:\ [my user name] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Start Menu \ Programs \ Startup

there is only one file in the folder - Send to OneNote

I have had a bit of a look at some of the suggestions and have made sure I am not in Tablet mode, have tried restarting explorer and nothing works.

I thought about uninstalling the most recent Windows updates but I cannot as they were installed more than 10 days ago so that option is taken away.

I don't know what to do from hear and would appreciate any help in particular to get my email back.

Thanks

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom