Battery losing charge soon after being topped off. Can't reboot from sleep with full battery. Laptop getting very hot.

M

MatFox

Hi friends from support team,

Over the past few days my laptop has been having some concerning issues. I have an HP Envy x360 15" that I bought in late December 2019. My experience has been relatively problem free until about two days ago when some issues began.

A week or so ago I shut down my computer and it began an automatic update. I then didn't use my laptop for around 3 or 4 days. When I turned on my laptop it finished the update that I had completely forgotten about with no issue. I had a few problems opening apps on my computer for a little bit, but I managed to fix it. Everything else went fine that day, so I shut down the computer like normal.

Two days ago I started using my laptop to do some work, and I had to walk away for a few minutes, so I closed the laptop, putting it to sleep. When I got back to it I noticed that the bottom of the laptop was particularly hot. Not burning, just hotter than normal. When I opened the laptop the screen did not turn on, so I hit the power button and nothing happened. I knew the battery didn't die as I had just charged it and it was basically new. Not knowing what to do, I waited a few minutes and tried the power again and it turned back on from being powered off, not put to sleep. I thought this was odd but I assumed that the computer somehow got too warm so it wouldn't let me turn it back on until it cooled down. I continued working on it for about thirty minutes and closed the screen again to go eat dinner. When I got back the bottom was hot again and it wouldn't turn on. After a few minutes of trying I noticed that the orange power light was blinking, meaning the battery had died. Confused, I plugged the laptop back in and it turned on fine, saying the battery was completely empty. From that point on, with the laptop plugged in, it turned on from sleep fine, only it would close out of all of my applications every time.

Yesterday I went to turn my computer on from hibernate and it worked fine, except for closing all of my applications. I closed the laptop to put it to sleep, and again the same thing happened. Bottom hot, not turning on. I waited several minutes, then the orange light started blinking again. By this point I'm getting concerned. I plugged it back in, worked fine, sleep kept closing all applications. I unplug the laptop after it reaches 100%, use it for about 20 minutes, made sure to check the battery power (96%), and closed the screen. Unsurprisingly, it was later hot and would not turn on. I waited about 30 minutes and decided to give up and go to bed and just figure it out in the morning. However, after over 30 minutes of the computer being shut and seemingly off I noticed that the computer was still hot. And to top it off, now a white light was continuously blinking on the side. This persisted for about 10 more minutes, then stopped all together. After about an hour, I finally noticed the bottom was starting to cool down. Consider me concerned.

This morning I went to start the laptop to sort this issue out and (surprise) the battery was dead. I plugged it in, turned it on, researched for a little bit without success, and here we are. As I said the laptop is only 3 months old and the battery holds its charge fine when I actually have the computer on, so I really don't think that's the cause of the issue. I just did the Windows troubleshoot thing and it said everything was good without problems.

I am completely lost now. Please help!

Thanks,

Mat

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom