Upgrading from Vista to W10

D

dr_dave_tele

I have a home PC running Vista 64-bit that I have not used for a while. About 5 years ago, I bought a copy of Windows 7 for it. I never installed it because of certain things in Vista that were not available on my Windows 7 laptop. I never looked closely at the media until today when I discovered the W7 I got is 32-bit.

My goal is to get from Vista 64 bit to W10 64 bit without losing any of the programs installed on this desktop machine. (2.67 GHz processor, 500 G HDD, 6GB RAM currently installed seems to meet minimum performance requirements).

I created a W10 64-bit installation tool on a USB. When I tried to run it, I got the message,

"Windows installation cannot be started from the current operating system. To install Windows, boot from the installation media, or upgrade from a supported operating system and restart the installation."

I have some concern that booting from the media might wipe out the existing programs I have on my computer, many of which I don't think I'd be able to recover if that happens.

By comparison, I updated my W7 laptop to W10 with no problems. That machine has an X64 processor but Dell only had 32-bit W7 on it for reasons unknown to me (purchased 2013-10). When I updated, all my programs (Office as well as a lot of other things) came across. (I had to re-install software for my EPSON DS-560 scanner, probably to update drivers, The other issue is that USB external hard drives are no longer plug-and-play; I have to manually assign a drive letter.) I'd like to have a similar outcome when I upgrade the Vista desktop. I'm not sure whether to try the W7 32-bit installation disk as an intermediate step and then try to go to W10 64 bit (would I have to go to W10 32-bit as yet another intermediate step?) or to throw caution to the wind and boot the Vista 64-bit desktop from the USB.

I read in a number of places that a "clean install" will wipe out all programs. I'm afraid I won't be able to even find my media from some of the programs I have. Can somebody outline best steps to keep me from losing installed programs?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom