Admin Account "Incomplete" Permissions with Task Scheduler

S

Samurai7388

I have a bizarre problem, and here are some basic facts:

• Computer: HP laptop, originally purchased with 64-bit Windows 10 Home
  • Current OS: 64-bit Windows 10 Pro - upgraded after the initial purchase (upgrade, not a fresh install)
  • I am the administrator on the computer, and my account was created prior to upgrading the OS
  • Issue: When is an admin account not a complete admin account?

For a specific communications software program to operate properly, my computer clock must be very accurate. The app I use to ensure an accurate computer clock time connects to a web-based pool of time servers, compares their time with the computer time, adjusts the computer clock if necessary, and creates a log entry confirming the action. The log entry is only written if the app is able to compare and/or adjust the computer clock.

The app, of course, requires UAC because it needs to adjust the computer clock. It works properly when I run it manually but, when Task Scheduler runs it automatically on a schedule, it runs but does not work properly even though the task is configured to run the app using my same administrator account and to run with highest privileges. It seems that it cannot work with the computer clock and, as a result, terminates without syncing the time or creating any log entry.

This app was written by a friend and it functions properly for him on his computer regardless of whether he runs it manually or as a scheduled task. He is the administrator of his computer, and he is using the same OS version that I am. One difference is that he had Windows 10 Pro right off the bat - not an upgrade as in my case. I don't know if that should matter, but it is a difference.

So my question is "what could possibly cause the difference where I am able to manually run the app successfully but, when Task Scheduler runs it using my account, it fails to complete the required action?"

Any assistance would be very much appreciated, as I am completely baffled. Thank you.

Continue reading...