Windows only works in safe mode, Crash in normal mode

D

DustinWilliam

Hey Microsoft community!

I need your knowledge right now! I rely on my PC more than ever right now while working from home and the issue I have is causing more stress than I need.

The Problem

For well over 4 months now, I have been experiencing a system crash that comes at random times, however mostly when I push the system - especially loading RAW files in Lightroom and also while rendering / previewing in After Effects. (latest CC versions updated) It is not limited to graphic-related tasks though. If I am doing too much at once even web browsing the system crashed.

The crash happens in the exact same way each time it happens. The PC will freeze, then after 20 or so seconds it will reboot on it's own. Other times it will freeze and stay that way until I force reboot.

My Steps to Troubleshoot

After a crash, I will boot into windows normally. I always open event viewer to see any events listed related to the crash. There is NEVER any event related to the crash other then the standard error that the previous shutdown was unexpected. Minidumps are also NEVER created. Effectively, there is no log of a crash happening. This makes troubleshooting frustratingly difficult.

I have removed each component one at a time and tested in between each - with the same crash results. The last attempt was only having an SSD, 1 RAM stick and that's it. - same crash results.

ALL drivers for each and every component is up to date. Windows is up to date. BIOS is up to date.

I tried 2 different GPUs including running off the integrated Intel graphics - same crash results.

My system is at all default BIOS stock settings, XMP is not enabled.

When I am in Safe Mode, the PC runs perfectly fine - I can stress it as much as I can, and it will never crash. This really makes me believe the issue is purely software and not hardware - that to me logically only makes sense.

Because I have tried everything by way of process of elimination, and still cannot find the issue, I am really stuck with what to do. It's hard to put into words my frustration - especially now working from home in these current times.

PC SPECS and Setup

Motherboard:
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme (BIOS 1401)

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K (Stock Speeds)

RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (64GB - 4 X 16GB) DDR4 3000 (F4-3000C16Q-64GTZR)

GPU: Nvidia Quadro RTX 5000

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe (500GB)

PSU: Corsair HX850i (850 Watts)

Cables: CableMod C-Series PRO

Cooler: NZXT Kraken X72 (AIO)

Audio: EVGA Nu Audio PRO

Case: Phanteks Evolv X

OS: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (1909) Build 18363.720

Nvidia GPU Driver: 26.21.14.4250 (in Device Manager)

Any advice would be incredibly helpful so that I can actually pinpoint the exact problem! THANK YOU!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom