Location of h&r Block files for premium and business 2018 on Windows 2007 to import into 2019 on Windows 2010- Continued

M

MT_303

Wolter Kluwer/H&R Block posted the following solution for accessing prior H&R tax return data file (for import into current year software) from 2007 system to 2010. After 4hrs including 1 1/2 with HR software support, this did the trick.

Scenario: I had 2018 HR Block software installed on 2007 Windows computer. I installed 2019 on 2010 Windows computer. Despite having a .pdf of 2018 return and saving these files to the 2010 computer, I could not get 2019 HR software to recognize the files to import or upload.

I contacted HR software support and they emailed another [blank] copy of 2018 software. Using last year's activation code, I installed 2018 onto the 2010 computer. Then, using Part #1 instructions below, I performed the backup return process on the 2007 computer. I was able to save the file to a USB and transfer to the 2010 computer. Then, I restored return as directed in Part #2. I closed the 2018 HR Block version and opened the 2019 and proceeded to the import stage. Success! 2019 software recognized the 2018 files.

Note: According to HR software support, they were able to assist with duplicate 2018 copy of software since I had purchased directly from HR Block in 2018. I'm not sure if they can help if you purchased your copy through 3rd party like Office Depot/Staples, etc.

Good luck and hope this saves someone a few hours of their time.. another thread in this community with similar discussion subject also helped a lot: Location of h&r Block files for premium and business 2018. Thanks to those participants!

How do I move H&R Block® Business from Microsoft® Windows® 7 to a new operating system?
Reference: Knowledge Base Solution - How do I move H&R Block® Business from Microsoft® Windows® 7 to a new operating system?

• Article Type:
  • How To
  • Last Modified:
  • 01/15/2020
Objectives
Moving H&R Block to a New Operating System

This article describes the steps involved in moving HR Block data from your Windows 7 system to a new system.
Environment
Microsoft® Window® 7
Procedure
You’ll need to perform these steps for each year/version of H&R Block® Business that you have on your system.
There are three basic parts for moving H&R Block® Business to your new system:

*These instructions assume you have an external hard drive or USB drive with enough space to save all H&R Block® Business data to it. In the steps below this drive will be referred to as drive X. The steps also assume you have purchased a new system pre-loaded with Windows 10. If you are upgrading your existing Windows 7 machine to Windows 10 you will need to complete Part 1 on Windows 7, and then you will perform Parts 2 and 3 after the upgrade to 10 is complete.

Part 1: Backup - Backup data on old system
Note: Perform these steps on Windows 7 machine.
Follow these steps to back up your H&R Block® Business data on the Windows 7 machine:

1. Create a folder on drive X: called HRB 20YY Backup (change YY to the actual year of the software)
  2. Open your return.
  3. Click File > Backup Return.
  4. Navigate to the location that you created in Step #1.
  5. Click Save.
  6. Repeat steps 2-5 for all remaining returns.

Parts 2 and 3: Installing H&R Block® Business and Restoring H&R Block® Business Data
Note: Perform these steps on the new or upgraded computer.

1. Plug in the external drive.
  2. Install the H&R Block® Business program.
  3. After installation completes, open the program and check for updates.
  4. Click File > Restore Return.
  5. In the Restore Return window, navigate to the folder you created during the Step #1 of Backing Up.
  6. Select your return(s).
  7. Click Open.
  8. Wait for restore process to complete.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom