Audio pops, cracks, glitches, from latency issues (i've tried a million solutions from web)

C

CaptGeech

I've had this problem going on about 4 months now. I just lived with it for awhile but a couple weeks ago I started to get hellbent on figuring out how to fix it. In doing so, I was directed to downloading LatencyMon which shows me that the problem is indeed high latency, almost always caused by dxgkrnl.sys, though other .sys files pop up in the results including Wdf01000.sys and acpi.sys, among others. A ton of people have this problem which led to me a ton of attempted solutions, hours and hours of scrolling through forums and trying things some of which I might even forget at this point...Some of them would look like it worked initially, with no audio glitches, stuttering in games, only to realize later that it did not in fact solve the problem and it comes back. It's hard to diagnose because it seems pretty random. It's most noticeable in audio when watching videos it makes a glitchy sound and skips. In gaming, sometimes nothing happens at all, but depending on the game I can get microstutters or even very big lag and can see it's spiking in LatencyMon at the same time. Streaming video online or listening to mp3's or any audio at all is where it is most prevalent. Here is some of what I've tried:

• Updated drivers for GPU (clean install, just the gpu driver and physx none of the other extra hd audio, 3D etc etc)
  • Updated drivers for Sound card, WiFi, LAN. Got drivers from manufacturer sites, tried newest, and older versions, just to try everything.
  • Completely disabled WiFi, LAN, GPU drivers.
  • Completely uninstalled realtek soundcard driver and used Presonus Audiobox as audio device
  • Disabled Universal Controller driver that is used by Studio One (DAW I use for music production)
  • Tried different performance plan settings in Windows
  • Changed Nvidia power management mode to Prefer Maximum Performance
  • Uninstalled MalwareBytes
  • Updated Bios, made sure there aren't any CPU boosting or other similar features in bios, I can't remember the names of these right now but it was in a forum and I made sure i I didn't have any of them
  • Changed pertinent drivers to MSI mode
  • Reseated ram, gpu, unplugged and reset connections on mobo
  • After all this didn't work i used DriverBooster to update all my drivers. Some ppl warned against this but others say it solved things for them so I gave it a shot. It appeared to fix my problems, for one night. Then it came back the next day.

• And I have NOT reinstalled windows, this will be a last last resort. Also in the hours of researching forums this has never seemed to solve it for anyone but who knows

There are other things I tried, so many I know I'm forgetting some, so if you suggest it in the replies and I've already done it I apologize.

Most forums and discussions point to this being a driver problem. Thing is, when I pinpoint a culprit in LatencyMon, like dxgkrnl.sys, I google and find out that has to do with my GPU, so I disable the GPU, and I just get a different .sys file popping up as the culprit in LatencyMon. Same thing for wifi card, lan card, etc it says it's culprit, I disable it, then it's something else. So I assume this is some broader issue that is effecting all these drivers.

Two things happened around the time this started that I can remember. 1. I installed Studio One and started recording music. Though I do recall using it for quite some time without this issue. and 2. My PC took a topple and one of the top/front USB ports were damaged and no longer function. But, I did completely disconnect those USB ports from the motherboard, in case it was causing some issue. The driver for those ports I would assume is the one that says USB Root Hub 3.0 (the only one that says root hub), and when I go to uninstall that driver it just immediately reinstalls itself...even though it's not even hooked up to the mobo? Does that even make sense? Most of my limited PC knowledge is from online so pardon my lack of experience here. I also re-seated, disconnected/reconnected pretty much everything inside the computer (with help from YouTube, and I'm not too much of a fool I'm quite confident everything is properly connected) But there we go. That's all I've got. Help would be greatly appreciated.

i7-6700, GTX1080, 16gb ram, gigabyte h110m-s2h

Here is a text file of LatencyMon results from a two hour period from a couple weeks ago:

Untitled Post

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom