Acer Aspire S7 191 - Trying to upgrade to Windows 10

A

AndyGman1

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8 on an Acer Aspire S7 191 ultrabook however am running into issues with the install freezing at various stages (2%, 16%, 13%) no matter how I try to install windows 10 (via USB or from the Windows 8 os)

Have tried all the options (inc. erase everything) but see errors like:

0xc1900101 - 0x20004

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during INSTALL_RECOVERY_ENVIRONMENT operation

I figure it has something to do with the storage on the ultrabook. Space wise there's nearly 60GB free so should be enough for install of Windows 10. It has two HDD's set to a RAID stripe.

I've installed windows on various PC's/Laptops but never on a machine with a RAID array.

As it's not my ultrabook (am trying to upgrade for a friend) I don't want to brick it. They have said there's no data on it so I can flatten it if need be. Can anyone guide me through what I need to do?

I've found this:

How do I reinstall Windows on my Aspire S7-191?

Use the following steps to reinstall Windows on your Aspire S7-191:

1. Change the BIOS mode from UEFI to Legacy.
  2. After exiting the BIOS, enter the Intel Rapid Storage Utility by pressing Ctrl+I.
  3. In the utility, delete any existing RAID. Select option 2, then press the Del key, and then Y key for yes.
  4. Select option 1 to create a new RAID Volume, and press Enter until it asks to confirm new volume, then press the Y key for yes. You should now have a RAID0(Stripe) with a name Volume0 with a status of normal.
  5. Select option 6 to exit the RAID Utility.
  6. Return to the BIOS and change the boot mode back to UEFI. Save and exit.
  7. Follow the steps in our article Restoring the operating system to restore the operating system of your computer.

However, I believe that this will destroy the recovery partition(?) I would prefer not to lose the recovery partition (I assume it's under PUSH BUTTON RESET as this partition is 16GB) Just incase install goes pear shaped I can reinstall windows 8.

I have taken a full backup on a separate removable HDD.

Any suggestions? TIA

Continue reading...