Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points

L

Linda1976

I am noticing I cant find my Automatic Restore Points AND I cant find the Restore Points Windows creates after a Quality Update .. in the System Restore application.

I just checked my Task Scheduler for Restore Points and the last task to create an Automatic Restore point was created successfully. But when I went to System Restore and checked to see if the automatic Restore Point was there… it wasn’t. Mind you, I first found out I have to actually schedule the automatic restore points.. so I first completed setting it up a couple of days ago. I read to give it a week to show up in System Restore…is that true?

I always do Manual Restore Points, but, I was in shock as Windows was always there .. for us .. to have that preprogrammed when you get your computer. Such is Life.

After not seeing the Successfully Created Automatic Restore Point in System Restore as a Choice for me to use… I checked the Volume Shadow Copy in Services. It is set to run Automatic, yet from what I saw in Services… it wasn’t actually “running”. in the left side of the pane, when you click on Volume Shadow Copy, it says “start the service”.

So I went to the Event Viewer and I saw that , after my Automatic Restore Point (according to Task Scheduler) was created, shortly after, the Volume Shadow Copy had an message in Event Viewer .. that said “VSS Service is shutting down due to idle time out”.

When I Googled the Event ID 8224.. there were 2 schools of thought: One said that Microsoft said .. back in 2011 (I found the article).. that there is nothing wrong, just ignore the message in Event Viewer. Then… another school of thought said that the “VSS shutting down due to idle time out” .. indicates File Corruption and can interfere with System Restore Points being created.

So, I ran the DISM ScanHealth — no corrupted files, I ran a “SFC /scannow” process in command prompt .. no errors, and then I did a Check Disk. .. also .. no errors to correct.

I was hesitant to run the DISM RestoreHealth, since I didn’t see any errors.

1) Does anyone know how I can see the Automatic Restore Points and the Windows created Restore Points in the System Restore window? I click “see more restore points” and neither the Automatic Restore Point or the Windows created Restore Points were there.

2) Also, which school of thought is correct about VSS Event ID 8224 VSS Service is shutting down to idle time out”? the old Windows thought that says nothing is wrong and ignore it or the other school of thought that says there is potential file corruption?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom