Windows 10 installation - Display Driver Crashing on Startup

A

Ajit Premkumar

Hi All,

Hope all safe and at home in these times! I have been struggling with an issue on my Dell laptop.

Background as follows -

I have a year old Dell XPS 15 9570 - Intel Core i5 with 8GB Ram with Intel® UHD Graphics 630 and 1TB 5400RPM SATA Solid State Hybrid Drive.

I have Windows Home 64Bit pre-installed.

During a recent windows update - the laptop got shutdown by mistake and after that, the laptop has been freezing as soon as the Welcome Screen is shown or sometime, after the welcome screen, the login screen appears, but freezes once I type in the pin or password.

Did a complete reformat of the HDD and reinstalled Windows 10 again. Was working alright for 10 to 15 mins. Then crashed when updating the drivers from the dell support assist!

After a few trial and error of downloading and installing different versions of Windows 10 - I think it is a display driver issue. I must have downloaded the last 5 versions of windows 10 - created a boot USB with Rufus and installed in the laptop!

Windows 10 version 1803 - which works perfectly well. I installed this and used the laptop for a couple of days. No problems! This has the Microsoft Basic Display driver. If I download the latest driver from the dell website and update the driver - it crashes. (FYI - When I see the installation settings for the basic driver - I see this - \VEN_8086&DEV_3E9B&SUBSYS_087C1028&REV_00\3&11583659&0&10 requires further installation)

Alternately, when I upgrade from Windows 10 version 1803 to the latest update, it crashes again. The only way this laptop is working if if i use Windows 10 version 1803 and do not use windows upgrade and use the basic display driver.

Any thoughts on how to reinstall and reset display driver? I have formatted and reinstalled windows from multiple sources - from dell factory image reset to downloading the latest windows version and flashing it to a boot USB drive. Every version later than 1803, crashes the display driver. Any comments suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Continue reading...