Windows stuck in bootloop

M

Mohammad Ali.

Hi there!

My laptop is stuck in a boot-loop, with a BSOD (critical process died) showing up a few second into the startup process.

The last actions I performed were updating the graphics card driver (MX-130) and installing a windows update. However, the windows update kept failing and wouldn't install, even after multiple retries. After the failure, I could log in to windows but the laptop kept crashing randomly (almost as if somebody were disconnecting the power and it turned off immediately). I suspected it to be a hardware issue but since I also have Ubuntu installed and I wasn't experiencing any such issues in linux, I don't think it is a hardware issue anymore. It seems like that the random crashes have caused some sort of file corruption and now I can't boot to windows.

I have tried running the startup repair, as well as repairing using a windows 10 USB, but the repair process fails. I had also tried the system restore utility the very last time I was able to login, and it did restore successfully, but the issue persisted. I'm now unable to use system restore any further from the Windows Recovery Environment because it keeps saying that drive protection is not turned on.

Here are some details regarding the system I'm using:
Acer Aspire E5-576G-59Q9

Intel 660p 1TB M.2 SSD (Boot drive)

8 GB RAM

Intel core i5-8200U

NVIDIA MX-130 Mobile GPU

Continue reading...