Windows File History won't actually backup files.

S

SirMonkeyV

Hello. I am on Windows 10. I hope I am not doing something wrong, but I am trying to have a backup of my files on my WD external HDD using file history. In the Backup settings in the Settings app, I selected the folders I want to backup. It also says it is on my E drive, which is the WD HDD. I selected my Pictures, Videos, Documents, Music, and Desktop to backup. The folders I backed up are on my PC's HDD instead of my C drive SSD. However, when I look in the WD HDD, it only shows documents folder, with only one folder inside of it. I keep telling it to backup, but it finishes backing up after just 15 seconds, so it cannot be copying everything. I am sure I selected all the correct folders and on the correct drive. I also tried to do it from the legacy control panel file history and it does the same thing. I do not have anything in exclusions. How can I get it to backup my files?

Also, if I go to the restore files section, it shows all my files, but it also still shows them if I remove the drive. Shouldn't it not show my backups if it the drive is not connected? And also, does anybody know of a free alternative for file history? Thank you.

Continue reading...