Wi-Fi dongle constantly dropping out, "default gateway" error.

S

SarahP1

I bought a new (refrubished) computer last week. I had 2 usb dongles (802.11n) one connected to the old pc, the other a new spare. I have the same issue on the new pc with both dongles (not an issue with the dongle)

It wouldn't stay connected, I tried finding a newer driver, reset the router, changed usb ports, uninstalled and reinstalled, restarted the pc, everything I have googled on this error, I have tried.

Then, without doing anything, it was magically working great. Connected to my 5ghz and was getting 30mbps. Worked great for a few days. Then, after a few days it won't pick up the 5ghz, but connected to the 2.4ghz. Works great. Only around 10-15mbps, but it works for what I need.

Now, starting last night, it's back to dropping out every 60 seconds, nothing is working to fix it, other devices working fine on the same network, in the same area with the same dongle. Just not my pc. Running Windows 10 pro. I am approx 5m from router, through a wall. When it connects after running the troubleshooter, it occasionally gets up to 10mbps before dropping to 1mbps and the disconnecting, where I then need to run the troubleshooter again. I always get the "default gateway not available" error and occasionally that the connection is broken.

I am so frustrated at this point and need suggestions.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom