Windows is initiating shutdown while gaming

M

magusdet

For the past two weeks I've been getting random shutdowns while playing POE (Path of Exile). Sometimes during intense mapping situations, other times while chilling and vendoring stuff.

Note: The PC doesn't just turn off. Instead I get the blue Windows is Shutting Down Screen. Sometimes i can cancel it but other times, well due to using an SSD, it just happens too fast and it shuts down so I have to power on my PC manually afterwards.

Sys Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600x
GTX 970
16gb 3000mHz ram
MSI x470 Gaming Pro
Corsair RM550x
-----------------------
I'm using both MSI afterburner and Ryzen Master to monitor temps.
CPU (no OC) barely reaches 40 degrees
GPU (no OC) gets to around 50-60, depending on how many league mechanics are going off at the same time on screen.

Overheating is not the issue here as I've even ran the PC without the side panel so i can manually check each component. The OSD temp readings are accurate. CPU is cool and the GPU heats up but no more than 60 degrees (C).

I'm not running any OC profiles, not even base clock boost on AMD. I haven't had similar issues with other games.
I ran a CPU and GPU stress test, even ran Haven continuously for almost one hour with max quality settings and couldn't get a temp reading of over 60.

My GPU is as old as a gtx 970 should be. Got it when it came out but I haven't pushed it to its limits ever.
The CPU, mobo, and PSU are barely 6 months old. Never used OC on the CPU, not even precision boost since i didn't need it in any game, including AC:OD, MW, Doom Eternal, and others.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening? Could it be a software issue? Some bad Windows update that's causing POE/Steam to trigger a shutdown? Is it possible that some of the components are faulty?

No shutdowns happen when I'm doing something else on my PC, only when playing POE.

BIOS, CPU, GPU, and Windows are all updated to the latest versions. Did this after the shutdowns started happening, still didn't fix the problem.

Not all the shutdowns appear in the event viewer. All the warnings usually refer to DCOM, winlogon, runtime broker. I Googled all the codes and they often lead to unanswered or unsolved threads with users pointing at overheating issues. I don't have any overheating issues so what could be the problem?

PS: updated everything and used malwarebytes to make sure everything is clean.

Continue reading...