O/S (Windows 10) is corrupted, need one on one help please

S

S-Young

I've spent over 10 days and 50 hours since the latest updates on 4/14 and cannot get my O/S working properly again. Can someone please walk me through a recovery? My files are there, I just want to restore the O/S or, failing that, reinstall the O/S without reformatting the hard drive. I have a recovery disk. I've reached the end of my rope - please, someone, help me. Who likes a challenge? You're my only hope, Obi-wan. Seriously. End. Of. Rope.

Current state

• Windows 10 Home Ver 10.0.18362.720
  • Asus N550J 8GB RAM 500MB storage 64 bit
  • I keep my files on D:\username, they're all still there, and I was able to back them up to an external drive right after this mess started.

Current symptoms:

• Windows cannot find ms-settings
  • Shift-restart will not reboot into safe mode - only offers the option to shut down (I can use msconfig to get into safe mode)
  • Troubleshooter fails
  • Recovery disk will boot but troubleshooting and uninstall fail
  • Uninstalling updates on 4/14 fail
    • KB4551762 windows update - tried uninstalling this one, even in safe mode, and it fails every time
    • KB4552152 security update - no option to uninstall
  • 6 temporary profiles and cannot log into my real profile
  • Reliability report is at about a 2.
    • Shows errors and problems since 4/14.
    • Shows for today a failed install 4 times in the last 5 hours (and I have NEVER played this game): Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80073D23: 9NBLGGH18846-KING.COM.CANDYCRUSHSAGA.
  • Cannot find or get to any kind of reset option.
  • Only one restore point ever shows, and it's always today's.

What I've tried in the last 10 days

• Recovery disk
  • Troubleshooter
  • sfc
  • DISM
  • regedit
  • safe mode
  • memory tests
  • chkdsk

Tonight's efforts

• Contacted MS support
  • Followed instructions to turn windows updater back on (I turned it off yesterday, but it was on automatic before that).
  • Started Maintenance and then rebooted, repeated 3 times.
  • Still can't find ms-settings
  • sfc /scannow still errors out
  • I just re-ran this, but the last time I tried the /online repair, it got stuck after 100% for 48 hours, so I'm reluctant to beat my head against that wall again.
    • Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.720]
      (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    • C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
    • Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
      Version: 10.0.18362.1
    • Image Version: 10.0.18362.720
    • The component store is repairable.
      The operation completed successfully.
    • C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    • Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
      Version: 10.0.18362.1
    • Image Version: 10.0.18362.720
    • [==========================100.0%==========================] The component store is repairable.
      The operation completed successfully.
    • C:\WINDOWS\system32>

At first I thought I might have a bad hard drive. Now I think it's a Windows corruption issue. I'm willing to re-run any test but I ask that one person please work 1-1 with me to walk me through what needs to be done in the correct sequence. I'm done researching and trying - I need answers!!!! Thank you for your help.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom