How do I free up storage on my Surface Pro 6 and why is it lying to me about the numbers?

D

DragynJump

So my wonderful Surface Pro 6 has always had plenty of storage for me. I never used it for any big applications or hefty games. But recently I was bored and decided to install Resident Evil 7 on my Surface Pro, which took up a lot of space but I knew I could always delete it later. (Side note, I swear I remember it saying it it would take up a whopping 70 GB of storage when I installed it, yet now checking back it says it only takes 20 GB).

After finishing the game I took interest in Metro 2033 and decided to buy it, but realized I needed to update my computer from Windows 17380 to 18382. Currently my data storage was using around 94 GB of data with an additional 20 GB left over. Then I updated my computer to the newest version, and everything seemed fine until I checked the data and found I only had 10 GB left over in storage. I went through and removed all the information from the old Windows version I had until I had enough to install the 7 GB size Metro 2033 game, leaving me with 7 GB left over, turning the bar red in warning.

Here's the kicker.

I realized temporary files were filling up my scratch disk and causing me problems because the storage was so full, so I decided to uninstall the large Resident Evil 7 file on my computer to go back to normalcy(I already own it in the Xbox store, so I could always reinstall it). To my shock, after uninstalling Resident Evil 7 and completely wiping it from my computer, I found my data storage HAD NOT CHANGED AT ALL. I've combed through every part of my computer and have concluded that the game has been successfully removed from my system completely. Even the Xbox store informs me that it's not on my computer.

This has created a serious issue where my computer runs fine, but there's no room for anything else to be put on it. I rested easy before because I had tons of free storage to fall back on, but now it's permanently near the top, which causes me undue anxiety. I have since deleted applications, removed thousands of personal items, and transferred files over to USB drives to finally put myself back to 19.6 GB of free storage, but the numbers don't add up.

If I had a game that at a minimum took up 20 GB of data, and after deleting said game as well as hundreds of other things while not installing anything new since that deletion, how is it possible for my system to have less than 20 GB extra storage left? Beyond that, when I examine the folder thingy labelled Local Disk, all the folders within have added data values of 54.3 GB, but it outright tells me that the whole thing is 97.4 GB full(Nearly DOUBLE the amount accounted for).

Simply put, I can't delete anything more out of fear that I could be deleting things vital to my computer. But if I could find where this absurd 45 GB discrepancy is coming from, or why uninstalling my game didn't change the data storage, I could rest easy at night and continue using my beloved Surface Pro 6 without constraints.
Sorry for the long story, I hope the information I provide helps solve the issue.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom