Random BSODs, tried almost every possible fix. Advice?

A

AnStuOnyPotMas

My PC since building has randomly been crashing and BSOD'ing very frequently. I get different error codes almost every time, but every time I check the event viewer, it is a Kernel Power error. When I check BlueScreenView, the leading cause is almost always ntoskrnl.exe with maybe FLTMGR.sys. Sometimes it will BSOD and not create a dump file which is really frustrating.

Here is my build:

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3600

GPU: EVGA GEFORCE RTX 2070 Super

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB

MOBO: MSI B450M Gaming Plus

Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB (SATA form factor, not M.2)

PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 650W

Wifi Card: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 PCIe x1

Case: Antec Dark Phantom DP301M MicroATX Mid Tower

Accessories (You wouldn't think it would be relevant, but given my extensive debugging, I'm not ruling anything out):

Keyboard: Corsair K68 RGB Wired

Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB

Speakers: Logitech S120 2.3 W 2.0 Channel

Headset: Steelseries Arctic 7

Monitors: Dell SE2416H 23.8" 1920x1080 60 Hz

& Dell S2417DG 23.8" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor

What I've tried:

1. Tried updating all the drivers and BIOS

2. Ran Memtest and Windows Memory Diagnostic on RAM (0 errors)

3. Switched RAM slots and tried using one stick at a time (same behavior)

4. Tried switching PSUs with a friend's PSU (same behavior)

5. Tried switching GPUs with a friend's GPU (same behavior)

6. Ran Checkdisk and Samsung Magician for my SSD (0 errors)

7. Clean installed Windows several times (right now, only drivers are installed)

8. Ran driver Verifier and found 0 errors. The last couple BSODs happened during the running of the verifier, which may or may not be related.

9. Disabled XMP and increased DRAM voltage by 0.05V. (Decreased after no behavioral change)

10. Booted in safe mode

11. Ran stress tests and found that temperatures did not exceed my maximum CPU temperature. Crashes were not correlated to any stress tests.

12. RMA'ed my MOBO. MSI reflashed it and said there were no issues.

13. Ran DDU uninstaller in safe mode to clean install my audio and GPU drivers.

14. Plugged my friend's SSD, GPU, and RAM separately in my PC. (separately meaning that I replaced one at a time)

15. Tried my SSD in my friend's PC.

16. Tried my RAM in my friend's PC. (no changes)

Noteworthy observations after all this:

1. With my friend's SSD in my PC (his is a Samsung 850 1TB EVO with the same form factor as mine), my PC BSODs much less, but it still consistently BSODs upon the first reboot. It sometimes BSODs upon the second reboot after the first crash, and it'll occasionally BSOD while playing a light game and using Discord. The errors are still the same (kernel power and caused by ntoskrnk.exe)

2. With my SSD in my friend's PC, the PC doesn't BSOD at all. Weirdly, when I checked his event viewer out of curiosity, a kernel power error (41) still appeared despite no apparent issues. If I hadn't checked event viewer, nothing would be suspect and the average PC user would just go about his day.

3. With my RAM in my friend's PC, no behavior was affected.

What I suspect could be the problem after all this:

1. It' s almost 100% a hardware issue and not a driver issue.

2. Given the decrease in BSODs with my friend's SSD in my PC, my PC has multiple issues. The SSD was one.

3. My SSD has something weird going on as proven by the event viewer on his PC. Not sure if it's incompatible with my build or if it's corrupt.

Questions I have:

1. Do I have an incompatible part somewhere that PC Part Picker couldn't detect? My PSU has more than 200W extra than it needs to power my PC, so I don't know what the issue could be.

2. Could it be a faulty case or CPU? I think one of the case cables could possibly be faulty, which is pretty hard to debug. I can't test this with my friend's PC because his is ATX and mine is MicroATX.

Dump Files:

TLDR: I've listed my dump files above. I'm experiencing random kernel power errors and have tried almost every known solution to fixing them. Not sure what my next course of action should be.

Thanks

Continue reading...