Black Screen On Boot or Freezing at Logon Screen

D

DavidChun2

I just performed a complete, clean installation of Windows 10 x64 on my upgraded PC. I have a strange issue where my PC now freezes up at the logon screen. I have an MSI MPG Gaming Edge motherboard and so when I boot up my PC, the EDGE logo comes up, and then the blue squares (windows logo) comes up. Then, it goes to the main Windows Logon screen. Typically, I can hit a button and enter my PIN to log on, but the PC is frozen. I can't click anything (no cursor), the ethernet connection shows as being disconnected, and none of my keyboard inputs are registering. Then, automatically, my PC will restart itself. Upon restart, I can logon and I'm fine to use the PC the rest of the day without issue.

I recently did another clean installation, and now I get a black screen after the four square windows logo. Again, no response to hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL or any mouse movement, just a black screen. This time, I have to press the power button on my PC in order for it to restart, upon which my PC will run fine for the rest of the day.

The odd thing about my issue is that it only happens upon first start up of every day. I've tried to unplug everything, disconnect CMOS battery, etc. and I cannot get the freezing to replicate itself. However, the very next morning, I'll power up my PC and it will freeze again.

I've tried:

- Reinstalling ALL drivers from the manufacturer's website(s)

- Updated my BIOS on both motherboard and video card

- Turned off fast boot in Windows

- Removed and replaced the RAM

- Disconnected all hardware and re-installed everything

- Windows Update

- I've tried clean boot and safe mode, but again, since it only happens on the first start up of every day, this is really no use

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I want to note that I upgraded from the AMD FX-8350 CPU setup to my current Intel i7-9700K setup. I am using the same copy of Windows and have it activated on my Microsoft account so I don't think there's any issue with my copy of Windows (it was originally purchased at MicroCenter anyway). I never experienced anything like this when I had my FX-8350 setup.

Continue reading...