SSL issues in Virtual Machines when using HyperV

R

Robb Manes

Hi all,

I've been using HyperV to host virtual machines I need for work, but no matter what Linux distribution I am running, I am encountering SSL errors whenever I reach out to remote endpoints. This seems to reliably happen whenever distributions need to perform updates.

An example, taken from Fedora, is the following:

- Curl error (56): Failure when receiving data from the peer for https://mirror.arizona.edu/fedora/l...8fdc2bcaa48486a14679e134b5aa6a24a74e5d175c4f1
abe1ee764956eaa7914-filelists.xml.zck [OpenSSL SSL_read: error:140943FC:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert bad record mac, errno 0]

But the issue persists with brand new fresh installs of Ubuntu, Arch, and CentOS. This being said, I suspect something with the HyperV network switch or something interfering with SSL between the VM and the home router. I have quite a few Linux boxes in the same network and they all work fine, just not any Linux system running in HyperV, on this machine.

I'd appreciate feedback on how to troubleshoot this further. I can do a lot of things from the Linux side, but don't really understand how HyperV functions. This is using Windows 10 Pro: Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363. Thanks!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom