How do I restore shares, permissions and associations an Admin User Profile and it's User folder use to have?

B

Brendan_Evan

Home Network: I have Two Windows 7 PCs
Initially I started with one PC with Win7; on WORKGROUP and joined to Homegroup. It has a local printer attached to it and sits in the living room with admin user BOBBY. Bobby is the admin account I used to setup windows and install applications and is used as a user. I am sharing that printer with other users. A few months later, I added another Win7 PC in the basement that joined to the Homegroup, and uses the shared printer. It has an admin user USER. I'm using this PC for a task. Both are on my Home Network.

From the Basement PC I will use the admin account USER. This account was used to setup Windows and install applications and is used as a user. I access the shared "C:" drive of the living room PC, I want to create a folder on it, copy files that are on that pc into the new folder under BOBBYs My Document Folder. When Bobby logs in, he will see the new folder and files I created.

Admin can't Create the Folder:
From the Basement PC, a prompt appeared that I did not have the permissions to create the folder. Even though I was using an ADMIN account and clicked on button to continue the action. It never created the new folder on the living room PC.

What I Tried:
I assumed that the list of accounts on each pc that is joined to the HOMEGROUP are collected and made available to any user on any PC who wants to share with other users in the WORKGROUP from the Context Menu of SHARE. Although both accounts have Admin rights, I assumed my admin account was blocked from creating the folder in another User Profile Folder on the living room PC because the profile account name or privileges did not match on both computers.
On the basement PC, I renamed the USER account profile to BOBBY. I noticed under C:\USERS folder, the user profile folder name did not change to BOBBY, it remained as USER. I followed an article on how to manually change the User Profile folder name to BOBBY and attempted to rename the folder.
When I renamed the folder, it prompted there are still users who are sharing the folder. If I wanted to continue the users who are sharing would be removed and I will lose my Theme. I clicked to continue. I waited 10 minutes before the computer released control to me. It wanted me to reboot and I did. I logged in and noticed several problems.

I notice I lost things, like:

• The Wallpaper, its black now.
  • Desktop and Task Bar Shortcuts are replaced by paper Icons. As if file associations are gone.
  • Firefox prompts for location of the user profile, WHAT? Nothing to choose
  • Tray programs prompting for log in; Dropbox, Facebook, etc.
  • Only Program Icons placed during installation showed normal icons.
  • Can't run a app in search box: Eg File Explorer, Paint, Wordpad,etc.
  • They may be other disconnects and problems i am unaware of.

Its obviously it did more than just remove users from sharing the user profile folder and the loss of my Theme. Upon reboot, a Dialog box appeared to detect something changed and recommended a system restore. I made a restore point before all this and used it to restore the system. I rebooted, logged in and still the same problem. It then recommended to UNDO the restore point changes and to use an early restore point. I wont do this because It would even take more time to reinstall and customized it to bring the PC to the current state. I continued to UNDO the restore and remains in the odd state its in. I am using another account to work on the PC.
The USER account was used for 4 years and so much has been added since is first login. When items under Folder Options are set to un-hide the list of Files and Folders in my user profile, the size has grown to 95gbs with application and personal data. It has 60,264 files and 5,351 files when you show hidden files and folders and system files. Take a look:
Copying the contents of this user profile folder to a new account as suggested in other Technical Docs will take almost a day or two and I dont think I have the space. I see Desktop.ini all over and I am concerned what happens transferring in the new account. Plus the NTUSER.DAT, NTUSER.DAT.LOg and NTUSER.INI files need to be excluded from the transfer process, but there are 7 of these NTUSER files with their names elongated. like Log1, Log2, (016888bd-6c6r . . .)TM.BLF and so on. Don't know what these files are. Take a Look:

fbdf3588-86a6-4510-a9cc-7c49d1f42071?upload=true.png

What help do I Need from Microsoft Community?:
So the latest restore point did not help. Undoing the restore point back did not help to restore all the settings, associations, and app profiles that are linked to the account. I need a solution for fixing the same user profile that lost these settings. I need them to come back. I need the action of removing the users who shared the folder undone and the Theme to comeback. That includes what ever privileges and rights the user profile folder had. Thank you for any help you can give.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom