Windows Defender Antivirus Causes 100% CPU Usage at Random Times

N

Naosis

I'm having horrible problems with Windows Defender antivirus. At random times it will start to consume 100% CPU usage and make my computer unusable for 5-10 minutes at a time. I am unable to kill the process (as admin) and I get no notifications as to what it's scanning, why, or when it will end.

There were two mechanisms I could use to cause the issue on-command. First, restarting my Corsair audio drivers service; second, sometimes when I start a video game that requires BattlEye, it will also hang (but this is less reliable).

What I've tried:

1.) Disabling Windows Real-Time protection temporarily (via the Windows Security panel) and "permanently" (via various Registry edits suggested here and elsewhere). When it is disabled the problems disappear, but there is no permanent way to turn it off - Windows always turns it back on regardless of what I do to the registry.

2.) Disabling Windows Real-Time protection by installing an alternative Antivirus product. I installed Panda Dome and disabled the Windows Real-Time protection, and this resolved the Corsair service restart. It did not fix the BattlEye issue - Windows Protection still was consuming 100% and locking up my system even when it's supposed to be off.

3.) Excluding all relevant services, folders, and executables from Windows Real-Time Protection. I did this, and it affected nothing (everything still locked up).

4.) Modifying Affinity and Priority values of the MsMpEng.exe service - I was unable to do this because Windows tells me "Access Denied" (again, I am the administrator on the system).

This is beginning to become extremely frustrating - why can't I configure windows to operate the way I want? Forcing me to have a broken antivirus is an awful design decision and something that should be well-within the control of the owner of the product. Regardless, I'd really just like a solution that doesn't turn my CPU into a toaster whenever Windows decides to "protect" me. It's worth mentioning that I have friends who also are on Windows 10 and using the same software as me and encountering no CPU usage issues.

How can I disable Windows Real-Time protection permanently? Failing that, how can I get it to not consume 100% CPU usage on various scans that it deems necessary?

Windows 10 Home Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.778)

Continue reading...