Ongoing Issues with duplicate User Accounts & duplicate System File Ownership

S

Scott Bennion

Good Afternoon

My SFC /SCANNOW from an Elevated Command Prompt (assuming the wind is blowing the right way & it completes successfully instead of stopping at 26% due to "Windows Resource Protection") is reporting that it is finding (& resolving) duplicate Ownership of System files only for (according to the CBS.LOG) it to find the exact same ones, & resolving it again, each time it runs. The Actual CBS.LOG entry states "<system file name> is owned twice or has its security set twice".....

The root cause appears to be that there are duplicate User Accounts on the machine however you can only see them if you run NETPLWIZ - if you go to the Normal User Accounts windows screen, you do not see any duplicates & all looks completely normal. The only differences I can spot from NETPLWIZ are that one account has the account name all in lower case & & the other one has the same account name with initial caps &, the lower case Account Name, at the left has a slightly different icon - a Person in front of a Globe Icon; the other has a Person in front of a Monitor icon (I'm not sure if this icon difference has any significance or consequence??). Both accounts belong to the "Administrators" Group.

I am told by a third level Microsoft Support techie (in a previous support ticket) that, as a consequence of the free upgrade from win 7 to win 10, "sometimes" User Accounts can get skewed.

Clearly, the issue is that i cannot easily tell which account it is safe to delete (if any) & if i guess, could completely trash my computer! I need to do a rebuild as my machine is now past it's sell by date, needs new key componenets &, I need to upgrade from Win 10 Home 64bit to Win 10 Pro 64bit (which i need to do before the rebuild due to the upgrade license tied to Motherboard issue) but, wanted my accounts ship shape first prior to the upgrade, if at all possible???

Can anyone help please??

Many thanks

Scott

Continue reading...