How To Fix Your HP PC's Fingerprint Sensor.

W

Wilfred Mui

Once in a while. Some HP computers with a fingerprint sensor might not work with windows hello.

You go on the Microsoft help page. What do you see? You see "Update your Driver". Well that's not the case.

If you are reading this. I'm going to teach you folks how to make your HP laptop fingerprint sensor work with windows hello.

1. Press the old and famous Windows key. Then type "Device Manager". Device Manager is the manager for all your PC parts. For example: USB, Display, Drivers, And so much more.

2. Go to Biometric Devices. If you don't have it. That's Great! Because you can skip the skep below.

3. See that driver that's called "Validity Sensor"? Uninstall it. We don't need that thing anymore. (Remember if you don't have Biometric Devices. Don't fear. You are on the right track. (IMPORTANT) When you click uninstall, You have to check "Delete the driver software for your device." Otherwise the Validity sensor will be in your software choosing. (In Future Steps). Restart your PC.

4. Press Windows key, Then type add or remove programs. And click it. Click it really good. Now search for Validity Sensor Driver and Uninstall it. Restart your PC again.

5. Now go to the website Client Management Solutions - HP Downloads | HP® Official Site. Scroll down till you can see Synaptics WBF Fingerprint Driver. Don't touch anything else unless you know what are you doing. Press the word saying "sp81786" Now you are downloading.

6. Open the file you downloaded. (Also Known As: sp81786.exe) You are in the install page. Just install it like you normally would. There are 2 installers. Do not be afraid to think you got a virus installer after that installation. It has to download some other files that belong to Synaptics Inc. HP and Synaptics are different companies.

7. Once you are done installing. Open Device Manager. Scroll down to Unknown Devices, And right click on the right unknown device. If you don't know which one is the right one, double click on one, Click details, Click Properties, Then click Device Instance Path. If its USB, You got it correct. If its ACPI, Don't install the driver on that one. After Right clicking on the correct unknown device, Click Install driver, Click Browse a file on my computer, Then Click Let me pick a list of devices on this computer. Next Double Click the one that says "Biometric devices" Not "Biometric Devices". Pretty small detail to look for right? After that, Click On Synaptics Incorporated, And then click the top driver. The bottom one is a no no don't touch it. After you double clicked, Click Yes on the warning. Don't worry. It wont BSOD your pc.

Problem: If you chose the wrong one, The installation will freeze.

Solution: Right-Click on the app which is downloading, Then click close app. Now go to your Device manager - Biometric Devices. See that Warning sign over there? You chose the wrong one. Uninstall it, And then update the other one. Leave me a comment if it doesn't work either way

8. After installing the driver, You are done! Congrats! You have fixed your HP PC's Fingerprint sensor. Go on Windows Hello and then register your finger. Let me down in the comments if anything goes wrong.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom