Windows doesn't properly use my new 5.1 surround sound setup

T

Timothy McSwain

I just installed a 5.1-channel surround sound system connected to my Windows 10 tower. This computer has ports for up to 7.1 surround on the rear panel, the cables all work, and I've narrowed the problem down to being something Windows is doing wrong. No surprise there, but worth mentioning.

Three cables are plugged into my computer for audio: the green (front left, front right), the black (rear left, rear right), and the brown (center, subwoofer). When using the troubleshooter in sound settings and playing sound from one speaker at a time, I can verify that all of the speakers are working.

However, outside of the troubleshooter only the front left and front right speakers (the ones plugged into the green jack, which was the only one I used with my previous set of speakers) output sound. There is absolutely no bass and the other speakers have nothing but a slight static hiss. Windows system sounds, Firefox, Spotify, Movies & TV, Windows Media Player... they all output to only those two speakers, despite my sound configuration being marked at 5.1 with rear channels in sound settings. (By the way, restarting my PC seems to reset that to stereo for some reason. That could be a sign of whatever the problem is)

Here's the new weird bit I just discovered: Cortana only outputs sound through my center speaker. (What??) I am thoroughly confused and frustrated. Fortunately my system has a button to simulate surround for all speakers with only stereo input, but that barely utilizes the subwoofer at all and I cannot individually balance the speakers in the sound control panel in Windows.

Can anyone help me with this? I'd imagine there are quite a few people using surround setups with Windows 10, but searching Bing or Google doesn't yield any useful information that I can see.

Configuration:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Build 18363)

MSI Baseboard (970A-G43, MS-7693)

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5 GHz 6-core processor

GPU: AMD Radeon RX-470 Graphics

RAM: 20 GB DDR4

Displays: 4 (2 DVI, 1 HDMI, 1 DP)

Windows Update says everything is updated.

I've restarted my system multiple times throughout this process.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom