Windows 10 Pro antimalware service executable - high CPU usage. Unable to resolve. Looking for help.

C

ClintMCM

Hello,

I am having an issue with the antimalware service executable using a large amount of CPU. On boot, it typically uses 30% CPU and ramps up to 100% CPU, causing any programs or games I launch to freeze and crash. It's worth noting that the CPU usage numbers in my task manager do not add up to 100%, they are not even close with a deficit of about 40% of unaccounted for CPU usage. It is also worth noting that when this issue presents itself, all other programs launched will consume an unusual amount of CPU. A specific example is launching Firefox, this typically uses less than 10% CPU. When the high CPU issue is present, it can use in excess of 50% CPU. It is generally present upon booting into Windows, but sometimes it is not. If it is not initially present, it can happen sporadically/randomly and crash whatever program is currently running.

The issue presented itself following the installation of a Windows update, I am unsure as to the exact update, however; KB4541338 was installed on March 18, 2020, KB4552152 was installed on April 21, 2020 and KB4552931 was installed on May 18, 2020. It is reasonable to assume one of these updates is related to my issue as I have not installed any other software in this time frame.

I am the only user of my system and I am EXTREMELY cautious as to what I install. I only have programs installed that I use regularly and have vetted. I can't recall installing any "new" software since building my system 2 years ago. (This does not include regular updates to existing software).

I have tried the following to rectify the issue:

1) Ran SFC. Errors were found and corrected successfully. Subsequent runs of SFC report no errors.

2) Ran DISM. Errors were found and corrected successfully. Subsequent runs of DISM report no errors.

3) Ensured all 3rd party software and drivers are the latest version (e.g. Nvidia Geforce drivers, intel chipset drivers, intel ethernet drivers, Realtek sound card drivers, Corsair ICue RGB software, ASUS Aura RGB Software).

4) Removed Realtek sound card drivers and replaced with generic Windows HD Audio drivers (I read Realtek drivers have had compatibility issues)

5) Installed Bitdefender free and ran a full scan. No threats detected. Uninstalled Bitdefender.

6) Ran Malwarebytes Premium 4.1.0 full scan including rootkits. No threats detected.

7) Ran AdwCleaner 8.04. No threats detected.

8) Disabled Fast Boot in BIOS.

9) Confirmed BIOS is the latest version. (HERO IX - version 1301, has been current since the BIOS update was available).

10) Confirmed MsMpEng.exe is in the Windows Defender exception list.

11) Confirmed the Windows Defender folder is in the Windows Defender exception list.

12) Confirmed no unnecessary programs are installed and are present in Startup.

13) Changed page file allocation to automatic. (Previously I had it set at 2GB)

14) Returned Processor Min State to 0% in Power Settings (one of these updates changed it to 100%)

None of these had any effect. So I disabled Windows Defender via the Group Policy, and the issue disappeared. I re-enabled Windows Defender, and to no one's surprise, the issue resurfaced. I now have it disabled again so I can use my computer.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this any further. I would like to continue to use Windows Defender, but cannot due to its CPU hogging malfunction.

What is going on here?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Continue reading...