Why is Windows 10 File Explorer "freezing" and looping when I try to rename a file (typically Word or Excel)?

J

JoNs-Iris

The problem has been solved by TURNING OFF "DETAILS PANE" in the VIEW settings. I have a two year old HP SPECTRE notebook running on Windows 10. About two months ago, I began having trouble renaming Word and Excel files; it may have been after an update from Microsoft for my computer, but I didn't pay much attention to timing. FILE EXPLORER would stop responding to clicks from my mouse and the "busy" circle/wheel would start spinning indefinitely; I always had to close the window; then I started having errors about files not found when I right-clicked on the FILE EXPLORER icon in the task bar. Then I'd have to start FILE EXPLORER using the START MENU or double-clicking the icon and drill down to the folder I was working in previously. I finally started looking for solutions in this forum today, and found a few solutions that were complex or the problems were with folders, not files. Things didn't make sense 100%. I did some more testing on my computer, and discovered that there was NO PROBLEM RENAMING PDF files. Hmmm, this didn't really help or tie into the solution, but it was noted. One solution about turning off QUICK ACCESS did not help solve my problem. Another solution about turning off PREVIEW PANE didn't apply because I haven't used the Preview Pane lately. But it made me try turning off the DETAILS PANE; file renaming now works again! I don't need to see the file details all of the time; it was a default and looked good, but I know how to get file details when I need them by right-clicking on a file name.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom