Windows 10 FPS Drops Everywhere (Gaming/Heavy Browsing/Voice Chat)

R

RiksKing

Hi everyone,

Since about 4 days, my gaming PC has started to show issues with massive FPS drops which can occur seemingly everywhere. The issue is most notable when playing multiplayer games/games which are a bit heavier on the CPU, but it has occured in just Windows Explorer as well. It will usually occur once in about 3/4 minutes and resolves itself in a couple seconds.

To try and resolve this issue, I've tried multiple things:

• I've checked for any malware/viruses using both Windows Defender and MalwareBytes.

• I've updated all drivers which were previously outdated

• I've checked my temps, which resulted in about 50 while idling, to 70 when in game (for both the GPU and the CPU). I've since then both cleaned out the CPU because it contained a lot of dust, and acquired new thermal paste. This has gotten the temperatures down to 45/65 respectively, but the FPS drops remain

• I've gone to device manager, deleted my GPU drivers and reïnstalled them

• I've checked for Windows Updates, which to be fair, there were quite a few of. However, updating didn't result in the lag to go away

• I've downloaded AMD Cleaning Utility and executed it, after which I had to reïnstall the GPU drivers

• I've shut down Windows Gaming Overlay

• I've checked my fans, but they seem to be functioning properly

There are a couple things which might be of relevance to discover where the problem lies (I know next to nothing about this stuff, sorry)

• When I'm voice chat, the people I'm chatting with say my voice sounds distorted when the lag occurs

• The lagg has never occured while my case didn't at least felt a bit heated. I must note, however, that it has felt hotter before, with everything still working fine

• When the lag occurs, task manager doesn't really show anything that stands out (nothing at 100%). My temp checker has however noticed a spike in CPU usage whenever it occurs. This spike does never exceed about 60% of the usage

My specs:

- System: Windows 10, Version 1909

- Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3

- RAM: 8 GB

- HDD: 1 TB

- GPU: Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics

- CPU: AMD FX(tm) - 8350 Eight Core

I'm at a loss at what to do next. Aside from just buying a new CPU/motherboard/RAM, or just a new PC, I don't know if there's anything else I can do to stop the FPS drops from occuring. If anyone has any idea, please let me know. Thank you guys so much in advance, and have a nice day

Continue reading...