Windows 10 1909 x64 Windows Search and UWP Apps quit working

S

StephenWConklin

So, here's the deal; this started a few days ago. Haven't had any problems up til now with any version of Windows 10. However, recently, there started to be an issue where I can't search on the Start menu, can't search in File Explorer, Search in Settings still works, but nowhere else. Mail will crash after clicking an email, Calculator won't even launch, and if I click on the clock in the System Tray, nothing happens. Just about every UWP app installed fails to launch, and even 32-bit and 64-bit desktop applications start to hang.

I've tried troubleshooters they can't find any problems, I've done the DISM scans No system component corruption found, I've tried resetting the affected UWP apps Does nothing, and I've even tried suggested MSU packages. Those just tell me that they're not able to install due to Windows version. 18363.836. Restarting helps for a time, but the problem eventually comes back. It's gotten to the point where I have to reboot my machine at least once per day.

I'm currently getting ready to install the latest slow ring build of Windows 10 version 2004 to see if that helps with anything, as I read about the 19013 build having fixes for at leastsome of the issues.. If that doesn't work, I think I'm going to have to do a complete clean install. Again. For a total of twice in the past 6 months. The last time was my fault; I went screwing around with audio settings and couldn't get it back, so I had to resort to a refresh.

This is getting extremely frustrating.

If it helps anyone, my rig is set up thusly:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4 Cores, 4 Threads @ 4.00GHz

GPU: XFX RX 580 8GB

RAM: 24 GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 rev 5.0

Boot Drive is a 256 GB SSD

Storage is 2.66 TB spread across 4 drives, 1TB, 1TB, 500GB, 160GB

I have a CD/DVD burner/BD-ROM combo drive

Continue reading...