On Startup, asks me what app to open this file is, but startup is empty, nothing is enabled that can't be opened.

E

ec3533

As title says.

However, when I check startup in task manager, everything that is open is already enabled and shouldn't throw this prompt at me. I checked the two startup folders, the one for all users as well as the one just for me. They were empty, but they had a 174 byte file that I wasn't able to reveal, even when I set file explorer to show all hidden files. Why does this happen?

Although there is one weird thing. In the startup tab of task manager, there are two programs that are just my name. They are disabled, but when I open the file location, they are just 1KB files that, when opened in Notepad, show this:

Usage : fsutil behavior query <option>

<option>

allowExtChar

bugcheckOnCorrupt

disable8dot3 [<Volume Path>]

disableCompression

disableCompressionLimit

disableDeleteNotify [NTFS|ReFS]

disableEncryption

disableFileMetadataOptimization

disableLastAccess

disableSpotCorruptionHandling

encryptPagingFile

memoryUsage

mftZone

quotaNotify

symlinkEvaluation

disableWriteAutoTiering [<Volume Path>]

disableTxf [<Volume Path>]

Please use "fsutil 8dot3name query /?" for more information.

For DisableDeleteNotify if neither "NTFS" nor "ReFS" is specified, both values are shown.

Should I delete these, and will it solve the issue?

Why were they there in the first place? I don't remember ever seeing these until recently. I ignored them for a while, but now that I'm getting the prompt on startup, I think they have something to do with the issue.

Continue reading...