Windows 10 - USB Port not proving enough power

S

Shine75

Hi All,

I have a problem using my USB port when connecting an external 2,5" USB self powered hard drive. Can you help me ?

I'm using a fresh Windows 10 1909 x64 up to date, with all the manufacturer drivers installed, drivers who have nothing specially related to USB, except perhaps the AMD Chipset Driver but I don't know if it acts on this (the motherboard is an MSI B450M Mortar Max).

The problem is that when I connect some hard drives on an USB port, either a front port, a back port, an USB 2.0, 3.0 or a 3.1 one, with its (short) USB 3.0 cable :

- sometime (not often) the hard drive mounts and work flawlessly

- but the vast majority of time, it powers up, seems to have some difficulties with the power (I mean the LED does not blink but I can hear the disk head doing strange things), and it does not shows up into the explorer. In the hard drive manager, it is not present

This happens with branded-cased-allinone hard drives as well with self-made case hard drives, and also with some USB flash drives. Curiously other same kind of USB flash drives I have in double or triple (same model-capacity-andall) works fine.

Everything is new (except the hard drives but they were very lightly used), I have a Be Quiet TFX Power 2 Gold 300 W power supply used at 120W at max on idle and 150W at full load.

I've tested many things, including trying to force an update of the USB drivers through the device manager (but they were up to date), disabling the Power suspend of the USB ports, and many other things.

In contrast, all these USB devices that cause problem works perfectly when used on :

• the exact same machine using a fresh install of Linux Mint 19.1 XFCE x64, on any USB port
  • another old machine running Windows 7, on front or rear USB 2.0 ports, Intel Q8300 CPU, 250W Power Supply (I use them of this machine without any problem since years)
  • another old machine running Windows 7, Intel Q9450 PCU, 500W power supply, on front or rear USB 2.0 ports, or on some front USB 3.0 ports connected to a PCI-E card Molex powered (I use them of this machine without any problem since years)

That leads me to the conclusion that it's not a harware related problem.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom