Windows 10 crashes when restoring system image

M

Micha16

Hey,

I had a 200GB SSD with Windows 10 and a 2TB HDD (Seagate ST2000DM001) in my PC. The 2TB HDD slowly died over the last few weeks, so I decided to put in a new 2TB (Seagate ST2000DM008). I have a backup that I obtained by creating a system image (of both drives) before the HDD had problems.

Now I tried to restore that image onto the existing SSD and the new HDD. I booted from a USB stick and followed the usual process to restore a system image. It restores the image for the SSD without any problems, but it always crashes when trying to restore the HDD. In most cases there is no error screen and it crashes after approximately a minute or two. Sometimes it goes on for 15 minutes or longer and then crashes which sometimes results in blue screens (see picture). I tried it with and without formatting the HDD beforehand, with and without ticking the box to format it in the process itself and results do vary, but nothing actually works.

The picture shows one of the errors, there was another as well. I'm not sure if that should be the focus point though, because most crashes just occur randomly without a BSOD. I am rather certain that nothing is wrong with the backup itself, because it didn't cause any problems at the time and Windows restores the SSD without problems. Also I stored the external drive with the backup safely.

I've been trying to fix this for hours and I really need to get it done, so any help is much appreciated! I am very happy to add additional information if that helps.

5d7f52ed-a953-43c6-aab4-40ee1344b3b8?upload=true.jpg

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom