Windows 10: unable to upgrade to May 2020 (version 2004). Error code 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 (Boot issue?)

R

rahidz2003

Hi there!

I'm trying to update to version 2004 and keep hitting a wall. I've tried with Windows Insider multiple times last week, as well as normally today using Windows Update and with the Media Creation Tool (using the option to keep my files & apps). Every time, the update appears to be successful, the PC reboots, proceeds to silently roll back any updates, goes back to the login screen, and upon login shows an error showing it's been unsuccessful.

The specific error I'm getting is:

0xC1900101 - 0x20017

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation

There are no visible errors in Device Manager, and SetupDiag hasn't been very useful to me (seems the last successful phase is removing System Restore checkpoints), there's several warnings about "CSetupDiagnostics::ReportData - Not reporting WINDLP data point" but I can't make heads or tails of said error, or even if it's an important one. ScanResult.xml doesn't list any problematic drivers either. I've got plenty of space (60+ GB on the SSD, 900 GB on the HDD).

----

Things I've tried:

1. Running the following sequence of commands in an elevated PowerShell prompt:

net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits

2. Running DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image with options Checkhealth, Scanhealth, Restorehealth (all good), as well as StartComponentCleanup (which oddly enough ends at 20% even though it says it completed successfully?).

3. Disabling Windows Defender (my only anti-virus) right before restart

4. Removing any USB drives.

5. Running the Windows Update Troubleshooter (which came up with nothing useful) and SetupDiag.

----

Ayyyy who wants those error logs yeah you do @_@

(setupact 1 and setuperr 1 are from the Panther folder, the other two are from the Rollback folder, both in $Windows.~BT. Logs_2.zip is from SetupDiag):

----

Thank you all very much for any and all advice :)

-Rahid Z.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom