Windows 10 2004 optimization/defrag bug

G

GKD_799

Hi all

I've just completed the Windows 10 2004 upgrade and I have noticed 2 issues.

1. When I manually trim my SSD in the drive defrag/optimize tool in windows and I reboot it says 'never optimized' when i go back. I heard this was a bug in insider preview which they obviously didn't fix.

2. I happened to have the defrag/optimize tool open at the same time as Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Security and Maintenance, I initiated a manual maintenance and I caught windows defragging my SSD and then it trimmed it straight afterwards. If i click the optimize button in defrag/optimize tool it only trims it and not defrag.

This seem to only happen when Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Security and Maintenance initiates its automatic maintenance or if I select start maintenance.

This is concerning as it should never attempt to defrag an SSD.

My laptop is only a few months old and came with a PCIe SSD and Windows 10 1909 so there is no compatibility or lack of trim support issues obviously.

I have disabled scheduled weekly optimizations in the defrag/optimize tool which prevents it from attempting to defrag when the control penal maintenance attempts its maintenance when the computer is idle.

I want to let everyone know that this is happening so others are aware. My other computers that have the latest update are also doing it.c3ce8ce2-2aa7-418e-8e3c-6ec30b55b3b5?upload=true.png

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom