Creating a symbolic link on Windows 10 for iTunes iPhone backup

M

Mike986

Hello all, I have a question that I have been having a hard time finding an answer for by just searching the web. I am trying to create an mklink for my iTunes backup directory so that I can store my iPhone backups on my much larger HDD d: drive rather than my SSD c: drive. My default backup location is "c:\Users\****\Apple\MobileSync\Backup\". The location that I have attempted to send the backup files to was "d:\Users\*****\iTunesMobileBackup".

However, when I open command prompt (and I did this with Run as Administrator) and type in this command-

mklink /h "c:\Users\Strider\Apple\MobileSync\Backup" "d:\Users\Strider\iTunesMobileBackup" I will then get an error reading "The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive".

I have also tried entering in the command- mklink /d "c:\Users\Strider\Apple\MobileSync\Backup" "d:\Users\Strider\iTunesMobileBackup" and it will successfully create a symbolic link. But when I do this, I will have the files from my iPhone backed up on both the c: and d: drives, which is not at all what I want.

I have had success with using symbolic links before in video game directories such as Skyrim, which has some huge texture mods that I have installed to my d: drive, but are detected by my c: drive after dropping a symbolic link in the correct path for the game files. Why am I having such a hard time with iTunes?

Thanks, Mike

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom