Windows 10 WDF_VIOLATION error when connecting bluetooth headset/headphones

• Thread starter JoshuaBalsillie
  • Start date
J

JoshuaBalsillie

Why does my Bluetooth headset cause Windows 10 to bluescreen?

System

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Microsoft Audio Source Service Driver Version 10.0.18362.693

Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) Driver Version 21.50.0.1

Microsoft headphone Driver Version 10.0.18362.693

Microsoft Avrcp Transport Driver Version 10.0.18362.1

Let me know if you need anything added to the system information.

I don't do any overclocking as I don't have a need to do so.

What I Tried and the Results

When connecting my Bluetooth headset (Bose Quiet Comfort II), sometimes it results in the WDF_VIOLATION blue screen error.

It seems to happen if I use a manual connect action in Windows 10.

Settings > Devices > Audio > Connect (to headset)

It may or may not be related to Windows 10 updates. I check for Windows updates at least once a month and typically install mandatory and optional updates that same day. The error does not seem to occur if the Bluetooth headset connect automatically.

The last time it occurred (about June 5, 2020) I decided to check my Bluetooth drivers for updates a couple days later and discovered my Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) driver had an update.

Device Manager > Bluetooth > Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) > (left click) > Update driver

-or-

Device Manager > Bluetooth > Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) > (right click) > Driver > Update Driver

Immediately after updating, my headset disconnected from Windows 10. I tried reconnecting the headset via:

Boom! Same bluescreen of death occurred: WDF_VIOLATION.

After the PC restarted I tried reconnecting to the headset again via:

It worked, but I definitely had anxiety selecting "Connect" again. I noticed my Bluetooth quality with my headset was choppy, resulting in popping noises and short periods of the audio cutting out. Often the popping and audio cutting out happen together, so it may be part of the same issue.

Fortunately after about 10 minutes the headset returned to normal operation with Windows 10. I cannot help but point out that the "Connect" button always causes this issue. If I simply connect my headset with an audio cable I haven't had it bluescreen.

This has happened at least 3 times on different occasions, two of which I described above. I can't remember exactly how many times it has happened probably 4 to 7 times.

All the articles I come across say the standard restart your PC, uninstall then reinstall the driver, etcetera so it would seem no one actually understands what causes the error yet, or at least on the first page of Google. I don't have the technical knowledge to debug this, but I can follow instructions.

Related

Bluetooth driver causing WDF_Violation

WDF_VIOLATION after connecting bluetooth device

Bluetooth Connection results in Blue Screen Error?How to Fix WDF_VIOLATION Blue Screen Error on Windows 10 [Disk Recovery]

How to fix WDF_VIOLATION Blue Screen Error on Windows 10?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom