[Windows 10] Critical Error: Start Menu Not Working

M

MichikoYumi

Hello! So as of recent my boyfriend has been experiencing issues with his computer about the Start Menu. Every time he tries to click it is brings up a window saying "Critical Error." We have been working on this issue for about a week. Here are the steps I have already taken to help: I checked if the task StartMenuExperienceHost.exe was running. It was not and tried to find it in the services bar, turns out StartMenuExperienceHost.exe isn't installed on his PC anymore.I had guided him into trying to re-download the files through Powershell, ran as an admin, we waited while it all downloaded and still no fix to the issue. Apparently there were error messages about downloading it to the system and in turn never downloaded the files.Next, we resulted to trying to reset his PC entirely. Whenever we try to reset the PC, however, the mouse and keyboard won't work, no matter how many times we plug them into different USBs.To try to fix the USB issue, we entered the BIOS, went to the advanced tab, under USB config, and disabled legacy USB. People have commented how this has worked for them and afterward the keyboard and mouse worked just fine; for us, it didn't work and resulted in the same problem.The other admin account on his computer is completely normal and the start menu works fine. His doesn't.We do not have a fresh restore point for him to go back to, sadly. When we tried to go back to a reset point it just reset his PC and we couldn't go through with the whole procedure because of what was stated previously... We have completely let this thing take us by the throat. We have completely given up. Now I turn to reddit for other advice on the issue. The only way I know to fix this problem now is if we completely reset the PC, but we can't do that because the mouse and keyboard don't work. Note: We somehow managed to find an old PS/2 keyboard and during the process of resetting that wouldn't even work to get us through the process.... So yeah, all in all looks like this problem can't or won't get fixed. But hey, any advice techs can give us will help as I am not a professional and was turning to internet forums for help. Specs: Processor: AMD FX ™ - 4100 Quad Core Processor (3.60 GHz)GPU: Radeon ™ RX 460 GraphicsMotherboard: M5A78L -M LX PLUSRAM: 8.00 GBSystem Type: 64-bit OS, x64-based processorWindows Edition: 10 Pro Thank you all in advance! Hope to hear from you all soon!

Continue reading...