BSOD during windows update, cannot boot nor repair

J

Jalzor

Hi,

I am using Windows 10 Pro and on Friday I was prompted to install an Update, I clicked on Restart & Update and came back to this BSOD:

31a2b5e6-5e0f-4b29-a1ea-06095cd1db14?upload=true.jpg

I waited for over 15min and rebooted manually. On the next boot, windows tried to uninstall the update but after a few minutes it displayed the same BSOD, then the computer rebooted itself. I let it loop for 10min before turning the PC off.

After creating a recovery drive from a Windows 10 Home laptop, I booted on it and tried to perform the following operations:

- Startup Repair

6326ddbf-89e0-42a4-b6f6-3040c3849e06?upload=true.jpg

- Remove update

ca43fe6f-8545-4872-93c5-474012093208?upload=true.jpg

- Repair system files in command lines

• Bootrec
    981ed789-536e-4d8a-93c4-fed9e43fdb5a?upload=true.jpg
  • SFC
    796cc04e-77ce-4aa4-b24c-69747e9ff9cb?upload=true.jpg

Note: I tried SFC with the proper offline argument ("sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\windows") and the same result

At that point, I had no more message that windows is trying to repair when I turn on the PC, just a 5sec bootloop with the motherboard logo (Windows logo does not appear). As I needed to work, I moved my additional HDD/SSD (keeping the C: drive in place) and the GPU to my backup machine but I still can't fix my usual workstation.

I also tried:

Creating a recovery disk from a Windows 10 Pro => Same result as with the Windows 10 Home recovery key

Browsing the C: drive in command line => I have access to everything and managed to save a few critical files

Now my understanding of the situation is that the system files are corrupted by the failed update but I can't figure out why I can't repair my windows install. I could just format but I have a few files I would like to recover from that disk...

My question is: what steps can I take to repair that Windows install or go into Safe Mode to make it easier to backup my files ?

Thanks for your time,

J.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom