Laptop brightness stuck at 100% when plugging in an external monitor

C

CheasePM

Laptop: ASUS - ROG Zephyrus G14

Operating System: Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 19041.264

Issue: When I connect an external monitor to my laptop using an HDMI cable, the laptop's screen's brightness is automatically set to the maximum. Adjusting the brightness with the slider in the taskbar panel does nothing. The numbers go up and down but the laptop's brightness doesn't change. Adjusting the brightness with the keyboard doesn't do anything. I also tried changing it through commands in PowerShell but that also didn't work.

All drivers are updated to their newest versions. I also tried rolling back the AMD Radeon Graphics driver under the Display Adapters in the the Device Manager and that didn't fix anything. I also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers for the laptop's built-in display (shows up as Generic PnP Monitor) but that does nothing.

Other things I have tried:

• changing the Power Plan for the laptop but that also did not do anything.
  • making changes to the registry which did not do anything.
  • uninstalling the hidden Generic PnP Monitor drivers

Here's a screenshot of what my Device Manager looks like if that helps at all

552de257-7f1e-484c-a589-a54bcb6b51af?upload=true.png

This ONLY happens when I plug in an external monitor. I tried two different ones and I get the same problem with both. As soon as I unplug one, I can change the brightness like normal. That leads me to believe the issue occurs with whatever piece of hardware/software deals with detecting input from the HDMI port. But I have no idea other than that.

I have been trying to fix this for hours and have gotten nowhere. I am losing my mind and am so close to just returning this laptop. I can't work like this

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom