Laptop primary screen does not turn on after sleep. When plugging in an external display, it becomes the primary display. A hard reboot is needed to g

H

HK2020RSA

Hi all,

I'm running a MSI GP73 laptop with Windows 10. It has the following periodic problem:

When waking up from sleep, either from being left for a while or by closing the lid, it sometimes wakes up with a black or dead screen. It has definitely woken up but the screen stays black. The only way to get it working again is by a hard reboot, sometimes 3 or 4 reboots are needed. During these reboots, the screen shows the MSI log and then goes black again, suggesting that this is not a hardware related problem.

If you connect an external monitor, the external monitor acts as the primary screen. If you then go into device manager, only the external monitor is listed (Generic PnP monitor). It does not pick up the laptop's own screen and there are no unknown devices listed.

I have tried changing all the power and sleep setting.

I have updated the screen's drivers when it is working again.

I have tried to identify a loose connection, but have not found anything. At the moment the laptop acts more as a PC, I do not move it around at all and I still have this problem.

The problem is sporadic, about once or twice a week or sometimes only once a month, so knowing what causes it is difficult. As is knowing when it is fixed...

Any Advice?

Kind regards

HK

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom