Group Policy Client service failed at logon. Access denied.

A

AlltraxJim

I have a Windows 7, Home Premium.

On June 9, 2020, there was a windows update performed on my computer. Shortly thereafter, my event logs show a critical error that restart was attempted without a proper shutdown. (Not sure why as it happened late at night on an automatic update).

From the next morning on, when i attempt to boot up, i get “The Group Policy Client service failed the logon. Access is denied.” I am a single computer. My user profile is the only profile. While i am unable to logon in normal mode, i am able to log into safe mode.

I have tried many of the typical troubleshooting suggestions found on youtube or other forums/searches to no avail.

I have disabled all startup programs. No luck. I have edited the registry (carefully) and changed back those edits if they didnt work. No luck. I have tried System restore to previous restore points. No luck. I noticed a lot of solutions to add a GPSvc folder,etc into the SVChost folder...but my Group policy in services.msc shows netsvcs instead of GPSvc. None of the solutions i’ve seen so far deal with netsvcs. But that might not even be the problem, its just something i noticed,

I have not done any user profile solutions suggested as ii’m not sure if it would be helpful to do and gets into possibly deleting my files?

I don’t see this issue listed in any forums,etc after 2017 so I’m curious why i would first have this problem now in 2020...but again, it does seem to have followed a critical error of a crash after a Windows update.

Any suggestions on what to try or where to go?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom